Michigan’s violent crime and property crime numbers dropped in 2017 compared to 2016, according to FBI statistics released this week.
Violent crime was down 2 percent, while property crime was down 6 percent, the FBI data shows.
Nationwide, violent crime declined 0.2 percent and property crime was down 3 percent.
A total of 44,862 violent crimes in Michigan were reported in 2017. That includes:
- 569 homicides, down 7 percent;
- 7,031 rapes, down 3 percent;
- 6,488 armed robberies, down 11 percent;
- 30,728 cases of felonious assault, down 0.1 percent.
The FBI report also showed there were 179,318 property crimes in Michigan. That includes:
- 124,074 thefts, down 5 percent;
- 35,461 burglaries, down 10 percent;
- 19,573 motor-vehicle theft, down 3 percent.
Below is a database showing 2017 numbers for violent crimes reported to local Michigan police agencies.
See the Databases and full story on M-live here: https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/09/michigan_crime_rates_dropped_i.html